How To Form A Texas LLC
To form an LLC in Texas, you must file a document called Texas LLC Certificate of Formation. You file the Certificate of Formation with the Texas Secretary of State. There is a $300 filing fee required by the State. You can file the document online on the Texas Secretary of State’s website (SOSDirect). The appropriate steps to form a Texas LLC are as follows:
- Choose a name for your Texas LLC
- Hire a registered agent service for privacy purposes or you can be your own (not advised)
- Choose whether the LLC will be Manager-Managed or Member-Managed
- Purpose of your Texas LLC
- File a document called Texas LLC Certificate of Formation (Form 205)
- List the LLC Organizer (person filing the Certificate of Formation)
- Sign and date the Certificate of Formation
- File online through SOSDirect and pay $300 with credit card (fastest) although Fees paid by Credit Card are subject to the statutorily authorized convenience fee of 2.7% of total fees. You can mail the Certificate of Formation into the Texas Secretary of State at P.O. Box 13697, Austin, TX 78711-3697 along with a check for $300
- Within 1 to 2 business days you’ll receive an email with a .pdf file attached from the Texas Secretary of State providing the approved certified filing copies of your LLC.
- Apply for your federal employer identification number with IRS online for by fax
- Create a Texas LLC Operating Agreement (this does not get filed with Texas Secretary of State’s office)
- Take the approved documents to the bank and open a corporate bank account
- If you are going to sell taxable goods or services, you’ll need to get a Texas Sales Tax Permit online through the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts office
- You can choose to have us do this entire process for you for an all inclusive package price of $375. Click here to see how our Texas LLC incorporation service works!